Sunday, February 24, 2008

Grateful and Thankful!!!


This is my cousin Karl. He's the closest thing to a twin I've got...besides my cousin Talia on my mom's side who was born literally, a few hours before me. From the day we met at a family reunion at a very young age in Utah, we instantly knew that somehow we were "misplaced". We were supposed to be twins, or at least brother and sister...because cousins just wasn't enough. Our whole lives we had always talked about how much fun it would be to live in the same town, just ONCE in our lives. Well...due to LIFE...that never quite happened, until he moved in with my parents in 2001. Unfortunately, it just wasn't the same, because...well, I was married at that point, so it couldn't just be "Jule and Karl"...nonetheless, it was AWESOME to have him so close for just a few brief months.

I will NEVER forget being in the car with him on 9-11-01, and him telling me that that day was a defining moment in his life. He was enlisting to serve our country. I say it like that, his words were...a little different. So what did he do? He went home and joined the Navy. Not only just the Navy, but he joined and is now serving as a Navy SEAL! What a stud! I'll never forget going to his BUDS graduation down in Coronado, and walking the extensive courses they had to do, and hearing about LITERALLY the most insane things possible, required to get where he was that day. I was so proud that day! In January he left for his 3rd duty in Iraq. I was literally sick to my stomach, because we had tried SO HARD to get even a few seconds, but wanting more, to talk on the phone before he left, but due to time differences (he's in Virgina Beach, and I'm in Hawaii) and hectic schedules, we played phone tag and voicemail tag.

I got to talk to him and wish him a happy birthday on his birthday....Valentines Day! Fortunately, because he had just arrived back to the United States....Unfortunately, because his 3 month tour ended after one month after being wounded in small arms fire while in combat. Without revealing too much info, they were doing a special opp, and unfortunately in the process, were wounded. His 2 very dear friends, Chief Petty Officers Nathan Hardy and Michael Kosh (both my age) unfortunately, did not survive. They were the first two to walk into a particular area...Karl was right behind them. Fortunately, Karl only suffered a gigantic hole ( he describes it as the size of a fist) through his calf. He was very lucky because the bullet did not go through any bones or arteries, and he will make a full recovery. When I called him on his birthday, he was in Arlington, VA and they had just buried the first friend. I have such mixed emotions about all of this war stuff. While I am very supportive of it, I hate the side where we lose our warriors in the process. Karl had a skin graft done on Thursday, and had been sleeping all day due to medication, etc. So we had the opportunity to talk at like 1am my time, 6am his. The benefits of being so far. It was very interesting to talk to him about his feelings on war, and his thoughts, and how he feels about being home. * He is EXTREMELY competitive and the normal Karl would be upset that he was home, and not out fighting with his team*. I think this was a very big wakeup call for him that he
ISN'T actually invincible. So selfishly, I am thankful he's wounded...because we get to have him back in our wonderful safe country.

I am so grateful to ALL our wonderful armed forces who put their lives on the line on a daily basis to protect our country, so that we can enjoy the freedoms our forefathers fought so hard for! I believe the war on terrorism will never end, but I DO know that much progress is being made.

So thank you Karl, for your undying love of this country, for the will to fight for it, and the courage to move forward so that we can enjoy living in America.
How I LOVE you so! Here's to wishing you a speedy recovery! I can't WAIT to see you in Denver in June! I hope by then you can at least put on your dancing shoes at the wedding!

*To read more about the two officers killed click here.*

1 comments:

Krissy Lowe said...

Gosh, that story just makes the war all too real. I am so glad that he is ok. That is amazing that he will make a full recovery.