ISLAND FEVER


...is REAL and it's SCARY! I've always heard the term, and I'm actually not one who can't not handle being on an Island, but when reality sets in that you actually CAN'T get off the Island just by driving...I mean, I guess I could swim, and risk getting eaten by sharks in the process...you start to hyperventilate. Now, I've been lucky thus far to have my parents come out so often... (they come again in a week! Yahoo!) and my sister Amber and her hubby come tomorrow, (Hooray) and Ally was just here...a few things to help keep my mind of my reality, but I thought, I have GOT to do something about it! So, I did! I marched right out and...well...you are looking at the recently hired (well, hired back in December, but it took about 2 months to go through all the security mumbo jumbo) Delta Airlines Customer Service Agent! That's right Ladies and Gent's! I officially started a few weeks ago, and it's about the best gig I could have ever found. The position is called a Ready Reserve... meaning, I can't work over 19 hours a week...because then technically they would have to offer Health Benefits, etc. You mean, I can't work over 19 hours a week, but I can still get my own personal flight benefits? SIGN ME UP!!! So, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday Nights, you can find me at the Honolulu International Airport ready to check you in! Sadly, I don't get buddy passes because I am only a Ready Reserve, but my little family and my parents still get the flight benefits, so really? What more could you ask for?! I'm thinking...Disneyland once a month...especially since my weekends are F-M, and really, as long as I take a Tuesday morning flight out from most West Coast locations, I am in to the airport by noon, and can still get to work for my 5:45pm shift! Disneyland anyone? Sometime around mid to end March? You know I am capitalizing on this one! So yeah, while it may be hard to travel sometimes without Nathan and with just the babies alone, there is an overnight flight to LAX every night that leaves at 11:33pm, soon to change to 10:33pm, and the kiddies and I could just sleep.
Last Wednesday, I was working at the airport, and my dad was taking the last flight out to SLC, which happens to leave at 10:45 pm. Well he of course, is still a "Revenue" passenger, and when he got to the gate, the ticket agent recognized him as being my cousin Ryan's uncle (who also works with me...FUN!) When my dad mentioned that he was also my dad (this was to my boss) he was "bumped up" to First Class! It happened to be an international plane that was taking them, so he got the Business Elite seat, which basically reclines ALL THE WAY down like a bed! My Dad was so stoked, he called me immediately once he boarded to let me know, and to give a huge thanks to them for the hook up! SCORE for Dad and a HUGE MAHALO to my awesome Employers!
People at work always ask me how I can handle the drive ALL THE WAY to the North Shore (an hour, as you know). I think they forget that A) I'm from So Cal, so what ISN'T an hour away, and B) How precious those "quiet moments" are! A happy mom and wife is a happy home, and happy now is what I am....so HOOORRRRAAAYYYY!!!!!
*On a fun note*
With the exception of like 1 or 2 others, my cousin and I are the only Haole (occasionally used to annoy people whose skin is all white. In the past, it was a more broad label stuck on everyone who was not kanaka maoli, a true-person-from-here.) Last night one of the locals said, hey...U from the Valley? And in true Valley Girl/blondish moment form, I thought...how did he know I was from Almaden Valley (where I grew up)...then I thought, oh maybe he thinks I'm from San Fernando Valley (which he did) and I knew EXACTLY where his comment was going... Meet Haole Boy Cowboy (Ryan, my cousin) and Haole Valley Girl...you can find us behind the counters or at the Gate at the airport...(or last September at my brothers wedding) Like, WHATEVER, I SO don't care! Call me a Valley Girl! I'll FULLY wear the title! I like TOTALLY LOVE the peeps I work with...THEY ARE THE BOMB DIZZLE! ( Said in FULL VALLEY GIRL FORM!) I'll post some fun pics from work, and in my new little uniform as soon as possible! To the free world...the Lawrences are soon to be airbound! The possibilities are endless!



5 comments:
That is so great...I am glad you are going to be able to come back and visit soon!
I need a job like that. I know that I'm not on an island but I feel like it sometimes because I want to leave but there is NO WHERE to go. We will be in SD at the end of March too. Hope to see you there
Hi. My name is Erin (Atkinson) Clegg. I saw your blog from my cousin's (Lindsay Huish). I'm an old friend of Nate's and I just wanted to say hi. It was really fun to see this blog and what you guys are up to. Please tell Nate hi. It's been a very very long time. I knew him well from BYU-Hawaii and remember when you guys got married. I think i was on my mission. Anyway, it's fun to see your family- your kids are beautiful!
You're talking Disneyland? I'm talking Paris, Florence, Tokyo. Radical. Like, totally!
YEAH Jule...I'm soo excited that you finally have a way off that Island!! Please try and come every week ok? Sounds good to me!!! :)Love and miss you-Jenn
Post a Comment