Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Olivia's First Surgery




Olivia and I got back from the hospital Tuesday afternoon after our first overnight stay together there, since being born...obviously. She had her tonsils and adnoids removed! Though it was less than 24 hours of actually being there, it was a LONG stay. First of all, I think it's about the hardest thing trying to explain to your 2 year old that they can't have anything to eat or drink for more than 6 hours. Unfortunately she snuck some of her brothers sippy cup before we left, which made us have to push back her surgery to the last one (4:00pm) after arriving at the hospital around 12:30. You can imagine how fun the wait was! Anyway, the doctor asked me to come into the operating room with her while they put her down, and let me just tell you, I will NEVER agree to that again. It was the most horrifying experience, and helpless experience EVER, that I literally left the room in tears, and it was the LONGEST 30 minutes ever, of my life, waiting for her to get out of surgery, and the doctor to tell me everything went great. We did have some great bonding time though, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I don't get too much one on one time with the kids, as they are always fighting over their mommy, so this was OUR time. Unfortunately, she was placed in a room for 3 other babies, and their mommies so it made for one interesting sleepover. I sure was glad to sleep in my own bed last night. Especially since Livi refused to sleep in the crib they were offering her, since she hasn't been in a crib in a long time, and instead, slept with me, on this makeshift chair they called a bed. Anyway, we are happy to be home, recovery is going well....we went swimming as soon as we got home from the hospital, and since yesterday was a holiday, we headed to the beach. The interesting thing is, Livi ate like a bird prior to the surgery, and since she has had it, she has eaten EVERYTHING possible, in site. Nathan said she ate like 5 hot dogs last night, which first of all, I'm not quite sure was an authorized food to begin with. I think I remember saying, "soft foods" like yogurts, jellos, etc...but whatever. The Dr. said her tonsils AND adnoids were like the size of a quarter...each...I guess with them removed now, it makes for a lot more room for food! Her voice has changed dramatically too! A lot higher now, and less nasally. Livi found the playroom before we were discharged, and then it was like a nightmare trying to even LEAVE the place! I was glad she had some fun though!

11 comments:

Suzanne said...

Having a little one in the hospital is NOT fun. I hear ya on that one! So glad the experience is over and she's going good. Such a cutie!!!

April said...

she is writing with her left hand in that last picture.

Kristen said...

Jule, good job for being such a brave mother in the OR. I was fortunate to not watch Haley go under at age 2 1/2 when she had a cyst removed in her neck. I don't think I could have watched that. Good job! Glad to hear Olivia is doing well and eating!

Natalie. said...

I'm back! Let's schedule! Email me!

Natalie. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
shira said...

poor thing. she is so cute. i hope she is feeling better.

The McGraths said...

So sad! I hope we don't have to do that. Even though I'm wondering if Jakey will need the same surgery. He has wicked ear invections. Glad she recovered well. You too!

ShOrt StoRy said...

I hate that experience, it is scary and you do feel SO helpless. Glad it's over and she feels better!

Krissy Lowe said...

I can totally relate. I'm glad it's over for both of you. It's amazing how resilient little kids are.

Elsha said...

I'm glad for Olivia's sake that they took her tonsils now. I had my adnoids out when I was six (or so?) and they didn't take my tonsils out because it was "unecessary" and then I had to have them out when I was 22. Let me tell you how much fun that was. She will bounce back much quicker at this age and never even have to remember going through it!

Jennifer said...

The hospital is no fun place to be...I'm glad that is is all done...Livi is a doll even at the hospital in her gown...I love her!