Thursday, March 6, 2008

Pat's Run


Those of you who know me well enough, know that I knew and loved Pat Tillman. I, along with many others in the country, was saddened to learn of his death on April 22nd, 2004.

In memory of his life, his darling high school sweetheart turned wife, Marie Tillman and other family members and friends formed the Pat Tillman Foundation with the goal and mission to carry forward Pat's legacy and inspire people to make positive changes in themselves and in the wold around them. Every year around the time of his death, they have "Pat's Run". The first one takes place in Tempe, AZ, his second home, where after graduating from ASU, he went on to play professional football for the Arizona Cardinals. The 2nd run is in our good ol' home town of San Jose, CA. The run in San Jose is ALWAYS on a Sunday, and the past 3 years I have not been able to attend the run due to being pregnant with twins, having newborn twins, and falling over Easter Weekend. This year it is on April 19th, 2008, which is a Saturday! Though I am the furthest away from AZ that I've ever been around that time, this is my lucky year! I'm doing it! It's a 4.2 mile run/walk/skip/jump, whatever you want...the 4.2 in memory of his football # at #42. The run ends on the 42nd yard line of the Sun Devil Stadium on the ASU Campus. The run is $30 for pre-registration, and $35 after April 15th, 2008. Proceeds benefit the Pat Tillman Foundation and it's youth leadership programs which promote positive action to benefit the community. Funds raised in both the Tempe Pats' Run and San Jose Pat's Run benefit the Leadership Through Action program at ASU. Last year they had a record breaking 15,000 attendants in AZ and 5,000 in San Jose...So my question to you girls is, WHO'S IN? Who's running it with me? Or...who's just up for a girls weekend in AZ? Shopping, dining, laying around a pool, etc? A nice getaway from the kids? Or a reunion with me?! Ha, j/k. No, but really, I am so in. Let me know if you are too!...plus, I'm dying to see the memorial and statue they put up at the Sun Devils Stadium in memory of him!


* To learn more about the Pat Tillman Foundation, the run, or even just about Pat, click here.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

That is so awesome that you are going to do that...How exciting for you to finally be able to participate...I want to see pictures when you do it! I would love to be able to go there and do that but I would end up crawling I'm sure after 1 mile...

JasonDebbie said...

If I wasnt pregnant and about to die then I would it! I'm only 3 hours from Phoenix so I would totally do it if I could. I don't remember Pat as well as Kevin, I was too young to remember pat as well. I do remember I thought they were both hot though! I'm still sad about his death, he was a really good person. You are cool to come do the run!